the open summer breeze will sweep you through the hills
in preparation for the birthday party, which i know is still 125 days away, i have been looking for owl inspired pastry’s and such. found this recipe from bella online & altered the colors a bit to fit my party…
chocolate puff pastry owls
one 17&1/2 oz package of frozen puff pastry (2 sheets)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
48 dark chocolate discs (wilton candy melts)
24 whole cashews
pink & yellow m&m’s
1. take the puff pastry sheets from the freezer 30 minutes before assembling the owls.
2. roll one of the sheets on a lightly floured pastry cloth to a 12×12 inch square.
3. mix the sugar & cocoa powder in a small bowl.
4. brush the pastry lightly with the egg mixture, then sprinkle liberally with the sugar/chocolate mixture.
5. roll up each side tightly to the middle, brush the middle with a little of the egg mixture to make the rolled sides stick to each other.
6. cut rolled pastry into 12 equal slices.
7. sprinkle some of the sugar mixture on a flat plate & press each of the pastry pieces into the sugar mixture (only the bottom side – don’t turn over to coat top) while flattening with your fingers.
8. transfer each of the flattened pieces to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
9. repeat with the second pastry sheet.
10. when all are flattened, place the sheet in the freezer for about 15 mintues or in the refridgerator for 30 minutes.
11. pinch the top corner of each to resemble an owl.
12. bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 7 minutes; remove from the oven, brush with the egg mixture & press a chocolate disc on each side to resemble eyes. press a cashew in the middle for the beak.
13. return to the oven & bake until the pastry is crisp & brown, 3-5 more minutes.
14. remove from the oven, press an m&m in the middle of each chocolate disc & cool on racks.
i’ll probably try this sometime before the party as i have learned that pastry’s are a bit hard to make after the apfelstrudel i made for christmas, it turned out but was a bit of a stresser there for a few minutes 🙂
i also found these super cute cupcakes from hostessblog.com and it sparked my memory that i got a cupcake stand for christmas that has never been used! so, along with the cake there will eb cupcakes! not sure if i will just stick to the owls or use the flowers & birds as well, we’ll just have to see. in keeping with my number 5, i have decided that there should be 5 different desserts..
2. puff pastry
5. …… any ideas on the last one?
found this adorable owl shaped cookie cutter at chio creations for only $1, should i get some greek letter ones too?
must get back to this awful video project i’m doing, it’s stressing me out & party planning was helping to destress, going to get coffee soon & maybe a little snack too 🙂